Have you ever seen a successful silk press 4c hair? Yeah, I also fell instantly in love with the look! Today we are looking into ways and tricks that we can implement to get the best silk press 4c hair results ever!
Before we just into it, Let me introduce myself if you're a newbie here!
Hi There! I am Queen, I would like to warmly welcome to my Natural hair Blog! Here i share great information and valuable tips that will help you maintain your natural hair, after all we all want a beautiful crown, right?! :)
I made a special page for you all (my lovely queens!) with helpful resources like coupon codes, discounts and products that will help you and me in our hair journey! I'll also be sharing different Best Selling Products for natural hair as i discover them!
I think we can learn to embrace and have fun taking care of our hair, so join me and let's do it together(Join My Exclusive Facebook Group to get instant access to me and let's build a community beyond hair)!
Lastly, i have a gift for you! We've all been there, The struggle to grow and maintain out hair Long! Ugh, i know trust me! My hair was stuck at shoulder-length for the longest till i finally passed it :) Now my hair is all the way to my bra strap!
I made this to help a sista out! You can get your free Natural hair cheat sheet guide to longer hair here!
Now that we've got that out of the way, let's continue!
The Spicy Silk Press 4c Hair Guide To Healthy Straight Natural Hair!
In order for you to get a great silk press, you need to know how to get it right! A silk press is basically straightening your hair without the relaxer!
Silk presses emphasize body and sleek shine by applying less heat than the press and curl, giving the hair more movement.
When it comes to tot the origin of silk press’ they aren’t clear, but the straight iron that many use to execute the style has been around since the nineteenth century.
Yep, the style gave women who wanted straight hair without perming an option.
What’s the best way to prepare for a silk press?
You don’t want a lot of oils or a lot of buildup on the hair, You want to make sure the scalp is really clean and clear so that there’s not a lot of smoking once you start the process with a flat iron.
A thing to remember is to always detangle in sections, blow-dry in sections, and then you’ll straighten in sections. That’ll result in a pain-free silk press.
How long does a silk press last?
The average time to maintain the hairstyle differs from person to person, but I would say for three to four weeks.
Making sure to wrap and pin curl the hair each night is what Williams says is best to wear the hairstyle to its full potential.
You can alternate between wrapping and pin curling if they want to maintain that bouncy look.
If you have really long hair past bra strap, put your hair upside down in a very loose ponytail, and then they can pin curl the ends of that ponytail.
To maintain the hairstyle, you shouldn’t apply extra heat when going home and avoid moisture if possible.
Do silk presses damage the hair?
It’s the technique, not the heat. It’s more of the way the heat is applied.
You can give your hair a chance to be healthy and free of damage by taking some precautions.
- Use a Heat Protectant. You should routinely avoid silicones, except when using heat on your hair. Silicones will form a hard layer around each strand to protect it.
- Use a moderate heat setting. The best temperature range for thick 4c hair is 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit. If your hair is thin or fine, you may want to stick with a lower range of 300-350 degrees Fahrenheit. Avoid using a high temperature as it could cause the water inside your hair’s cortex to boil. Never turn the temperature beyond 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Try One Pass Only. Each time you pass the iron through the hair, the strands become hotter. Try doing one carefully planned pass. The hair has less potential to become damaged than it would with several hasty passes.
Hair doesn’t only have the potential to become damaged from direct heat. Adding heat to hair can cause it to become dryer than normal, especially if you’re trying to avoid water and reversion.
HOW TO DO A SILK PRESS
Here is a basic guide on how to do a silk press on 4c natural hair or any natural hair type! You should know how much heat your hair can take and how much it cant!
- Shampoo your hair with a sulfate-free clarifying shampoo to clear the strands of product buildup. Kinky Curly Come Clean is an excellent clarifying shampoo.
- Condition your hair with your favorite moisturizing conditioner.
- Detangle your hair with your fingers, and then with a wide tooth comb.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner and make sure your hair is completely free of tangles.
- Dry your hair with a blow dryer, make sure the setting is on medium heat with maximum air flow.
- Apply a heat protectant cream or spray throughout the hair.
- Divide your hair into large sections and clip back with alligator clips.
- Heat your flat iron to a temperature range of 350 to 400 degrees for thick hair, or 300-350 for fine, thin hair. Are you looking for the best flat iron for silk press? Try the Kipozi Titanium Straightener which has wide plates for big, curly hair and a digital temperature reader. It’s an excellent choice for a silk press straightener.
- Section off a small layer of hair and with the use of a rat tail and pass the flat iron over your hair once. This is called the chasing method.
- Continue flat ironing in small sections until your entire head is done.
WHAT ARE THE ALTERNATIVES TO THE SILK PRESS?
It’s good to research and see what else you can do to straighten your hair besides doing the silk press. Use this guide to figure out which one to get for your hair.
Silk Press uses the flat iron, and the blowout uses a blow dryer. The biggest difference between these two natural hairstyles is the look.
The silk press gets the hair bone straight and the blowout has more volume.
Flat Iron Method
To silk press is to flat iron. They are the same. Flat ironing is just a modern way of doing a press.
Silk Wrap method
Silk press and silk wrap sound similar, but they are quite different.
A silk press uses a heat protectant and a flat iron.
A silk wrap uses a moisturizing product, light serum, saran wrap, and a hooded dryer. The silk wrap minimizes heat.
Keratin Treatment Method
While a silk press lasts for two weeks, a keratin treatment can last for up to four months.
When the keratin treatment wears off, you’ll need another treatment.
Many keratin treatments contain formaldehyde releasers and are carcinogenic.
How do you maintain a silk press
- Make sure you keep your hair away from water, steam or sweat as it will revert back to its natural curl.
- Another thing to do is to wrap your hair in a silk scarf each night to keep the hair protected.
- I know this is hard but avoid adding additional heat to your hair. Look for non-heat ways to achieve curls like pin curling.
- To not end up with build-ups, lay off adding excessive product. You want to keep your hair bouncy and flowy and that won’t happen if your hair is weighed down.
There you have it, The Spicy Silk Press 4c Hair Guide To Healthy Straight Natural Hair!
What’s your secret to a great silk press?
What to read next? I’ve got you, girl!
- How to Become a Natural Hair Types 4a 4b 4c Ninja Queen!
- 3 Impressive Braid Out Natural Hair 4c Ninja Techniques!
- How To Define Curls On 4c Hair Like A Curly Boss!
- Why Deep Conditioning 4c Hair Can Rock Your World!
Hi There! I’m Silvy (aka Queen)! So good to have you here!
I am a passionate upcoming Ghanaian Blogger & YouTuber with a heart for Jesus! I want you to know you are Special, beautiful and so is your hair!
Popular posts you might enjoy!
Feel free to connect with me!
HELPFUL NATURAL HAIR RESOURCES/TOOLS
I'm here to share with you some amazing and helpful hair resources for your natural hair in order for it to thrive and grow healthier and longer!
Where to buy Natural hair Products in Great Prices!
Amazon : You will find amazing natural hair products that will help you maintain your hair in good affordable prices. Plus they ship worldwide!
eBay : What i like about Ebay is the fact of shipping prices base on the country you're buying from and the seller's rating system.
Sally beauty :They have a variety of products for natural hair! You can also check Sally's Coupons and Discounts on Sally Beauty products - all in one place. Remember, Free Shipping On Any $25 Order!
iHerb.com : I love using iherb to get hair vitamins in really low prices. Use the coupon code bellow for a 5% off your next order!
Hair Products Discount code
iHerb Discount Code: WOM674 Get 5% off their next order, regardless if you are a new or current iHerb customer! Amazing right?!
Hair vitamins for growth
Biotin 5000mg can help you hair grow because your hair is made of keratin, which is a type of protein. Biotin is also a nutrient that helps us keep a young, attractive appearance since it plays a major part in maintaining the health of our hair, nails and skin.
Folic Acid 400mg
Folic Acid or folate, helps all of your tissues grow and various cells work. These tissues include skin, hair, nails and organs. It also helps prevent birth defects such as anencephaly and spina bifida, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Hair, Skin and Nails Multivitamin
As all multivitamins they offer more that what we asked for! To maintain shiny, healthy hair and provide the nutrients your hair needs, maintain a balanced diet with these top vitamins for hair growth. That's why taking a Multivitamin for hair, skin and nails covers them all!
Omega-3 Fish Oil
Most of the benefits you'll get from Omega-3 fish oil are from their long-chain omega-3 fatty acids, which are called DHA and EPA. These are the healthy fats linked to the oil'sheart-healthy benefits, and they're also beneficial for your hair and skin.
Zinc is a vital mineral for healthy hair, skin and nails. Learn why dermatologists recommend zinc for hair growth and how zinc consumption can prevent hair loss. A good zinc supplement for hair loss will supply a good amount of the mineral, as well as other key hair nutrients such as biotin, vitamin C and iron.
Trimming hair shears / scissors
** YOU CAN READ MY FULL LIST OF NATURAL HAIR RESOURCES HERE.**