Last Updated on September 11, 2022 by The Blessed Queens
What are the best low porosity shea moisture products out there and how can they help you improve the health of your natural hair? If your natural hair needs some serious care and you are low porour hair type natural then keep on reading (I’ll show you how to know your hair type next)!
How To Use Low Porosity Shea Moisture Products For Curls That Sing!
We are going to talk about 3 awesome products that Shea moisture released a while ago:
- SheaMoisture Baobab & Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Protein-Free Conditioner
- SheaMoisture Baobab & Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Protein-Free Shampoo
- SheaMoisture Baobab & Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Protein-Free Leave-In Detangler
But before we get into them let’s see what’s all this hype about porosity. If you don’t know your hair porosity type then this video is just right for you!
What is hair porosity?
When we talk about porosity it refers to how well your hair is able to absorb and hold moisture.
It is affected by your hair cuticle, which determines how easily moisture and oils pass in and out of your hair.
Most of the time, porosity is genetic, but it can also be affected by external factors such as exposure, heat treatments, and chemical processing.
What’s the benefit of knowing your hair’s porosity? It can help you choose the right products to keep your hair well-moisturized, supple, strong and shiny. Cool, right?!
If you have Low Porosity (Hopefully you watched the above video)…
You will notice that your hair has a tightly bound cuticle layer with overlapping scales that lay flat.
Low porosity hair repels moisture when you try to wet it and is hard to process since it resists the penetration of chemicals.
Your hair type is also prone to build-up from protein-rich deep conditioning products, which can leave it feeling stiff and straw-like (yikes!).
What you can do is to stick to protein-free, daily conditioners with humectants such as glycerin or honey.
Try to use moderate heat with protein-free deep conditioning treatments to help open up the tightly bound cuticle.
It is no secret that low porosity hair requires moisturizers rich in emollients such as shea butter, jojoba oil, coconut oil and mineral oil so choose lighter, liquid-based products such as hair milks that won’t sit on your hair and leave it oily or greasy.
How to know your hair porosity?
Of you didn’t watch the video here are 3 ways to check what hair porosity type you have:
DO THE STRAND TEST!
- Gently stretch a tiny section of curl strands from different areas of your head – front hairline, nape, crown and temple.
- Place the stretched curl between your thumb and finger and slide it up the hair strand from the tip towards the scalp.
If your fingers move easily up the strand and it feels dense and hard, you have low porosity hair.
If it feels smooth, you have normal porosity hair.
And if the strand feels rough or dry or it breaks, you have high porosity hair.
TRY THE SHEDDING HAIR TEST!
Another way to check your hair porosity is to drop hair that’s been shed as a result of combing into a glass of water.
- If it floats, your hair is low porosity.
- If your hair sinks slowly, it has normal porosity, and
- if it sinks immediately, your hair is high porosity.
LASTLY WHAT ABOUT THE H20 TEST!
To determine your hair porosity level using water,
- spritz a small section of curls with water and watch how your hair reacts
- iF your hair absorb the water quickly (You have high porosity)
- Ifit remain on top (You have low porosity level)
Another way to spot if you have low porosity hair is to know some of the characteristics of low porosity hair. Here are few of them:
Characteristics of Low Porosity Curly Hair
• Curls take a long time to dry.
• Products tend to build up on curls rather than absorb.
• Natural oils don’t readily penetrate, but rather sit on your hair.
• Curls take much longer to get fully saturated when you wet them.
How to care fo rLow Porosity Hair
Since low porosity hair has very compact cuticles, so it’s hard to inject moisture into the hair shaft, although it does retain moisture once it absorbs.
Here are some simple tips that you can follow to better care for your hair:
• Use heat with Deep Treatment Curl Restoration Therapy under a hooded drier, steamer or even a warm towel or shower cap, to help products better absorb and bind with the hair better.
• Distribute products evenly throughout your hair making sure not to put too much on.
• Apply products to damp, not drenched hair.
• Use sulfate-free shampoo and rinses such as apple cider vinegar or baking soda treatments to rid your hair of product build-up.
Now that you know why your hair act the way it acts lets get into these amazing products for your hair porosity type:
SheaMoisture Baobab & Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Protein-Free Conditioner is a lightweight conditioner that softens and improves manageability. Ideal for low porosity curls and coils that resist essential moisture.
This lightweight conditioner softens and improves manageability. Ideal for low porosity, protein-sensitive curls and coils that resist essential moisture. Infused with fast-absorbing Baobab and Tea Tree Oils, Spearmint and Clary Sage to promote scalp health, and enriched with certified organic Shea Butter to deliver balanced, nourishing hydration where hair needs it most. Provides lasting moisture without surface build-up.
Water, Glycerin (Vegetable), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter**, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glyceryl Caprylate, Panthenol, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend), Capric/Caprylic Triglycerides, Menthol, Adansonia Digitata Seed Oil, Mentha Aquatica, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Extract, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Leaf Extract, Cetrimonium Chloride, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Tocopherol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Sodium Benzoate, Glyceryl Undecylenate.
SheaMoisture Baobab & Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Protein-Free Shampoo is a sulfate-free clarifying shampoo that gently cleanses and removes product build-up. Ideal for low porosity curls and coils that resist essential moisture.
- It gives smooth and sexy hair all day
- Ideal for low porosity curls and coils that resist essential moisture
- Deliver balanced, nourishing hydration
Infused with fast-absorbing Baobab and Tea Tree Oils, Spearmint and Clary Sage to promote scalp health, and enriched with certified organic Shea Butter to deliver balanced, nourishing hydration where hair needs it most.
Water, Sodium Lauroyl Methyl lsethionate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin (Vegetable), Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend), Adansonia Digitata Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter**, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Prunus Armeriiaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Panthenol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium, Chloride, Menthol, Sodium Phytate, Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Extract, Mentha Aquatica, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Leaf Extract. Sodium Benzoate, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol.
SheaMoisture Baobab & Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Protein-Free Leave-In Detangler conditions hair while resolving knots for easy comb through. Provides lasting moisture without surface build-up.
- Protects and moisturizes hair from roots to ends
- Provides lasting moisture without surface build-up
- For all types of hair
Bonus Product: 100% PURE BAOBAB OIL HEAD TO TOE NOURISHMENT
multi-tasking oil, rich in reparative Omegas 3, 6, 9 and vitamins. Helps nourish the hair follicle, scalp and skin to strengthen and support elasticity.
Infused with fast-absorbing Baobab and Tea Tree Oils, enriched with certified organic Shea Butter to boost scalp health and deliver nourishing hydration beyond the outer cuticle layer. Refreshing Spearmint invigorates the scalp for a stimulating experience, while Clary Sage gives hair a silky shine.
- Made with natural and certified organic ingredients.
- Baobab Oil is extracted from the African Superfruit. This deeply moisturizing oil is rich in vitamins and antioxidants.
- Tea Tree Oil moisturizes and soothes for lasting scalp comfort and healthy-looking hair.
- Spearmint Extract effectively revitalizes hair and scalp with a fresh stimulating fragrance.
There you have it, How To Use Low Porosity Shea Moisture Products For Curls That Sing!
What’s your favorite Sheam Moisture Product?
What to read next? I’ve got you, girl!
- 7 Fine Low Porosity Hair Tips For Awesome Hair Days!
- How Often Should You Moisturize Low Porosity Hair?
- The Simplified Low Porosity Hair Routine For Sassy Curls&kinks!
- 6 Wise Low Porosity Hair Growth Practices For Thriving Hair!