Last Updated on September 10, 2022 by The Blessed Queens
Before we just into it, Let me introduce myself if you're a newbie here!
Hi There! I am Queen, I would like to warmly welcome you to my Natural hair Blog! Here I share great information and valuable tips that will help you maintain your natural hair, after all, we all want a beautiful crown, right?! :)
I made a special page for you all (my lovely queens!) with helpful resources like coupon codes, discounts and products that will help you and me in our hair journey! I'll also be sharing different Best Selling Products for natural hair as i discover them!
I think we can learn to embrace and have fun taking care of our hair, so join me and let's do it together(Join My Exclusive Facebook Group to get instant access to me, and let's build a community beyond hair)!
Lastly, I have a gift for you! We've all been there, The struggle to grow and maintain our hair Long! Ugh, i know trust me! My hair was stuck at shoulder-length for the longest till I finally passed it :) Now my hair is all the way to my bra strap!
I made this to help a sista out! You can get your free Natural hair cheat sheet guide to longer hair here!
Quick Tip❤️--> If you are experiencing lots of breakage or shedding... maybe you need to solve it from the inside out! I Remember I experienced shedding and breakage and when i strategically started taking specific vitamins it stopped (well, this supplement makes things soooo much easier instead of taking 5 vitamins a day, haha!). Or you can try this hair formula which i think targets more hair problems. I helped me and I hope this tip helps you dear .
Now that we've got that out of the way, let's continue!
Is a hot oil treatment for natural hair necessary? What does a hot oil treatment do for natural hair? These where the exact questions I asked when I saw all these beautiful natural hair queens going a hot oil treatment on their natural hair, so let’s have a chat about it!
- 1 The Ultimate Hot Oil Treatment For Natural Hair Growth Guide!
- 2 Benefits Of Hot Oil Treatment For Hair
- 2.1 Who Can do a hot oil treatment?
- 2.2 It Helps To Moisturize Your Dry and Brittle Hair
- 2.3 Seals Moisture into your ends
- 2.4 Helps With Dry Scalp and Dandruff
- 2.5 Helps Increase Blood Circulation To Your Scalp
- 2.6 Helps Strengthen and Adds Shine To Your Hair Girl!
- 2.7 It Smooths the hair cuticle to soften dry, rough hair
- 2.8 Helps To Prevent Split Ends and Frizz
- 2.9 Research Your Oils
- 2.10 When to Apply Your Hot Oil Treatment
- 3 How To Apply Hot Oil Treatments
- 4 Instructions
The Ultimate Hot Oil Treatment For Natural Hair Growth Guide!
Since our hair has this beautiful texture of being naturally curly and kinky by now you know that it is prone to becoming dull & brittle.
In other words, doing hot oil treatments can be beneficial for your natural hair because it allows the nutrients in those oils to penetrate your hair follicles.
Pretty awesome, right? A hot oil treatment can be done weekly or even monthly but it depending on the needs of your hair and scalp.
So what exactly is a hot oil treatment for natural hair? Let’s get into it sis!
Queen, What Is A Hot Oil Treatment?
In simple words, hot oil treatment is a plant-based treatment regime that entails treating your hair and scalp with natural oils.
There are so many lovely oils to pick from but few of them could be castor oil, olive oil, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil, and the list goes on and on, I’ll talk more about them few paragraphs later, stay with me!
So you would say, okay Queen I hear you but how do I get it done?
How Do You Do A Hot Oil Treatment On Natural Hair
If you want to implement a hot oil treatment, there are some things that should be taken into consideration.
Time is one of it, you must first be fully prepared to devote to the treatment regime.
I will get more into the things you will need but before we get that out of the way I want you to know why you should try a hot oil treatment for natural hair.
Some of these benefits are just too good for your hair and I want you to get the best out of your hair so here are some great benefits that you need to know about.
Benefits Of Hot Oil Treatment For Hair
This is a quick list of 5 things that you benefit from by doing a hot oil treatment for natural hair, I’ll explain more after these quick 5 benefits:
Nourish the follicles
When you do a hot oil treatment it moisturizes your scalp and increases the blood circulation.
Now when your blood flows it further improves nourishment from inside out, and the nutrients from the oils provide nourishment from the outside in.
Scalp issues be gone!
If you do a hot oil treatment before shampooing will help prevent dandruff and dry scalp.
This is a quick tip, apply the hot oil to the hair and massage it into the scalp with your fingertips as a pre-poo treatment.
Then proceed by applying a plastic cap for 15 to 20 minutes, then rinse hair thoroughly.
Mends split ends
A hot oil treatment will soak into split ends and smooths them down.
When you don’t have the time to trim this could be a good thing to do before you are ready to give your hair the needed trim.
Who said breakage?
Girls, we do many things to our hair on a daily basis that cause damage and breakage.
Hot oil treatment along with good deep conditioning will help to strengthen your hair and prevent damage from heat styling and coloring.
Shine hair, Shine!
Hot oil treatments can prevent frizzy hair without weighing down your hair and you know that reducing frizz also helps with your hair shine, right?! Yeah!
Who Can do a hot oil treatment?
If you are someone with dryer scalp you should do hot oil treatments more frequently to prevent over-drying and breakage.
But be careful sis:
Doing treatments too frequently can over-saturate your hair with oils and cause your hair to be limp and greasy… yikes!
Yeah, that was some quick benefits for my busy Queens 😉 Now let’s break some of the benefits because I think if you’re natural you have experienced once one of these hair incidents!
It Helps To Moisturize Your Dry and Brittle Hair
Since yours and my natural is prone to dryness, and for sure no one wants dry and brittle hair in any season hot oil treatment is our friend!
We need moisture ladies so anything we can do to our hair to moisturize it is a plus.
Since we said you should not overdo it, it’s best to do a hot oil treatment every week or every two weeks, depending on your preference.
Doing a hot oil treatment will help the oils to be deposited back into the hair and prevent dryness that can contribute to breakage.
Helpful Tip: is a delicate balance of moisture and protein needed in your hair care regimen in order to maximize your hair growth and length retention.
By using hot oil treatments on a weekly basis you help keep that moisture balance in your hair.
Seals Moisture into your ends
Sis, your ends are the oldest part of your hair and need the most care, we need to show them some luveeeee!
By adding the warmed oil to your hair and letting the nutrients seep in, you are helping to directly add and seal moisture into your curls and that’s why you should always pay special attention to your ends!
Helps With Dry Scalp and Dandruff
Gurlll this is my story!! Dry scalp :/
Many Queen’s struggle with dry scalp and dandruff (by the way try apple cider vinegar rinses, you welcome hun!).
By doing a hot oil treatment before you shampoo your hair you can help prevent that unwanted dandruff.
You can combine almond oil with an essential oil such as peppermint, the Mint Almond oil is infused with peppermint oil which is perfect for helping dry scalp and dandruff.
Did you know that peppermint oil also has anti-inflammatory and also antiseptic properties? yeah, it does!
It helps to soothe itchy scalp and also helps to keep dandruff at bay.
Peppermint oil also helps to absorb excess oils on the scalp and helps to promote your hair growth.
Lastly, remember that the hot oil treatment process helps with your hair moisture and also it helps to revert your brittle dry hair.
Helps Increase Blood Circulation To Your Scalp
For sure hot oil treatments help to stimulate blood flow to your scalp. I love scalp massages, I mean there is nothing like a good scalp massage.
How do you get that blood to flow? Try massaging the oil into your scalp after applying it to your hair!
It helps to invigorate growth and help increase blood circulation.
I like to massage my hot oil treatments into you my scalp after I’ve applied to my hair and at the same time take my time because I know I am increasing the blood circulation.
Helps Strengthen and Adds Shine To Your Hair Girl!
When you keep on practicing hot oil treatments over time, you will begin to see the changes in your natural hair.
Your natural hair will look and feel healthier, and you will notice more shine in your curls.
We all need and want stronger hair so know that your hair will look and feel stronger, healthier and will look healthier by time.
I don’t like seeing my hair dull so if you’re like me the shininess you crave if your hair is dull will start to appear after several hot oil treatments.
It Smooths the hair cuticle to soften dry, rough hair
If your cuticle is raised or damaged then your hair often would be feeling dry and rough. If you want to lay the cuticles down do a hot oil treatment which will also make the hair less likely to snap and break off as well.
Helps To Prevent Split Ends and Frizz
Hot oil treatments can help prevent frizz without weighing your hair down (no one wants that!). They also help to seal the ends of your hair which in turn prevents split ends.
Because the hot oil treatment helps to seal moisture into your ends you are strengthening your ends thus preventing split ends.
Since no one wants dandruff… It also prevents dryness from occurring on your scalp which can lead to dandruff.
Research Your Oils
The oils are an essential portion of all of this. There are plenty of different oils out there that will help you moisturize hair. However, some oils target specific things. You can blend oils to get the most out of your hot oil treatment experience.
My favorites to combine are jojoba oil and coconut oil. Jojoba oil is the best choice for people with oily hair. This oil is light and won’t leave your hair feeling heavy. Coconut oil is great for anyone dealing with dandruff or flaking.
It’s great for all hair types with that added effect. So many different oils can give you a great and luxurious look.
When to Apply Your Hot Oil Treatment
It is best to apply your hot oil treatment after you have washed your hair.
If your hair is dirty it will not benefit from the oils as it could. In order for you to obtain full penetration of the oil onto your scalp and hair, it needs to be clean else with dirty hair, the oil will just sit on top of your hair.
Applying your hot oil treatment right after you shampoo and before your deep condition is the best time to apply.
You can also flip the order, some queens apply the hot oil treatment after deep conditioning, instead of before.
You can use this method if you feel that your hair is really dry and you need maximum moisture.
How To Apply Hot Oil Treatments
Okay so now you know how awesome a hot oil treatment for natural hair is, let’s look at the basic steps of applying a hot oil treatment.
If you don’t know what type of oil to get, girl I got you! Will list some for you to pick right after this!
1. Warm your oil mixture by heating plain water on the stove. Wait until the water is just about to boil and remove the pot from the stove.
2. Put the oil in a separate container (You can use an applicator bottle) and place it in the pot of warm water until the oil warms up.
NOTE: You should not heat the oil in the microwave because it will lose the nutrients!!!!
3. Test the oil on your wrist before using so you don’t burn yourself.
4. Section your hair into 4-6 sections to make distribution easier and less messy.
5. Use the applicator bottle to distribute the oil throughout each section, trust me it is less messy than using a spoon or your hands!
6. Carefully massage the mixture into your scalp and be sure to coat your ends.
7. Cover your natural hair with a plastic cap and let the oil treatment sit on your hair for at least 30 minutes.
Tip For the Queens: For added moisture, wet a towel with warm water and wring it out. Wrap the warm towel around your head for 20-30 minutes. Or sometimes I put a damp towel in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds to warm it up. Don’t worry if the towel cools off, the process is still working.
8. Shampoo and condition your hair as you would normally do.
Your hair should be noticeably softer, stronger and may even have a more prominent sheen.
Every time you do a treatment you should check if you get far less breakage than you normally do when shampooing and detangling your hair.
Are Hot Oil treatments only Done at home?
not really, you can get a hot oil treatment at a salon by a professional stylist, or you can do it yourself at home, the choice is yours.
Hot oil treatments can be done common oils like coconut oil and jojoba oil, or you can buy treatments from your local beauty supply store (If you can find any).
For those that love DIY stuff here’s a great DIY recipe for a hot oil treatment:
What are some Hot Oil Treatment Pros And Cons?!
If you wanna do a hot oil treatment you should also watch out for these things:
- Your hair will be clean if you do it on freshly washed hair
- You will get enhanced results by combining oils
- Boost and shine will be your new last name, lol
- Gurl your hair will not be breaking anyhow and start growing
- it will increase those nutrients into your hair which promote healthy hair health.
- Overheated oils can cause damage to your hair
- Too much oil can make your natural hair appear greasy.
Which Hot Oil Treatment Is The Best
When it comes to picking the right hot oil treatment if you want a already made you need to experiment.
I’m gonna mention some of the best oils that you can use or combine for a great hot oil treatment:
- Coconut Oil: This is the most popularly used hot oil treatment for naturalists. It helps to soften and nourish your hair and increase hair growth. Coconut oil is available in any local or online stores.
- Olive Oil: This is one of nature’s best hair and skin product. It contains a variety of vitamins that are used to retain moisture in your natural hair. It adds sheen, softens your hair and a whole lot more.
- Castor Oil: Castor oil is very thick and also good for moisturizing dry hair. But what a lot of people don’t know is that it can strengthen your hair if it’s thin and brittle.
- Avocado Oil: This is moisture locking hot oil treatment that is rich in vitamins A, vitamin B, vitamin D, and vitamin E that are needed for healthy hair growth. It also adds shine to your natural hair.
- Sesame Oil: A great oil for shine and luster.
- Almond Oil: This oil helps to prevent hair loss and helps you to achieve beautiful shiny hair. This is an excellent carrier oil if you want to mix this oil with a heavier oil to thin it out a bit. It is available at your local hair or online stores.
- Jojoba Oil: This oil helps to keep your hair scalp healthy. It also has antibacterial properties that assist with healthy hair growth. Jojoba oil has the same properties as our own hair sebum, this oil actually penetrates the hair shaft it’s also used to treat dry scalp.
- Argan Oil: This oil naturally hydrates your hair and enhances the elasticity.
There you have it, The Ultimate Hot Oil Treatment For Natural Hair Growth Guide!
Have you tried a Hot Oil treatment?! Yay or Nay?!
What to read next? I’ve got you, girl!
- 16 Fantastic Natural Oils for Hair Growth and Thickness!
- The Ultimate Coily Hair Guide To Long Hair!
- 13 Amazing Oils For Low Porosity Hair That Works Wonders!
- How To Grow Back Edges With Castor Oil
- Jamaican Black Castor Oil Benefits For Hair Growth | All You Need To Know!
- 13 Extraordinary Hair Treatments With Coconut Oil
- 8 Revolutionary Natural Hair Oils for Dry Hair & Their Benefits
- Coconut Oil and Lemon Mixture! No more Gray hair!
- The Ultimate Hair Sponge Guide For Natural Hair!