Last Updated on September 11, 2022 by The Blessed Queens
Before we just into it, Let me introduce myself if you're a newbie here!
Hi There! I am Queen, I would like to warmly welcome you to my Natural hair Blog! Here I share great information and valuable tips that will help you maintain your natural hair, after all, we all want a beautiful crown, right?! :)
I made a special page for you all (my lovely queens!) with helpful resources like coupon codes, discounts and products that will help you and me in our hair journey! I'll also be sharing different Best Selling Products for natural hair as i discover them!
I think we can learn to embrace and have fun taking care of our hair, so join me and let's do it together(Join My Exclusive Facebook Group to get instant access to me, and let's build a community beyond hair)!
Lastly, I have a gift for you! We've all been there, The struggle to grow and maintain our hair Long! Ugh, i know trust me! My hair was stuck at shoulder-length for the longest till I finally passed it :) Now my hair is all the way to my bra strap!
I made this to help a sista out! You can get your free Natural hair cheat sheet guide to longer hair here!
Quick Tip❤️--> If you are experiencing lots of breakage or shedding... maybe you need to solve it from the inside out! I Remember I experienced shedding and breakage and when i strategically started taking specific vitamins it stopped (well, this supplement makes things soooo much easier instead of taking 5 vitamins a day, haha!). Or you can try this hair formula which i think targets more hair problems. I helped me and I hope this tip helps you dear .
Now that we've got that out of the way, let's continue!
When it comes to Bantu knots on dry hair there is always the question… how will I get it right? I agree with you that trying Bantu knots on straight hair can give you some good and not so good results and let’s face it girl, it’s discouraging!
Today I want to share with you what are the basics of Bantu knots and how to rock them like a pro!
- 1 How To Rock Bantu Knots On Dry Hair Like A Pro Naturalista!
- 1.1 HOW TO DO BANTU KNOTS ON DRY HAIR WHEN TIME AIN’T YOUR FRIEND!
- 1.2 HOW TO PREPARE YOUR HAIR FOR A GREAT BANTU KNOT
- 1.3 WHAT ITEMS DO YOU NEED? BASIC ITEMS FOR A PERFECT BANTU KNOT HAIRSTYLE:
- 1.4 I HAVE SHORT HAIR. WHAT DO I DO? BANTU KNOT HAIRSTYLES FOR SHORT HAIR
- 1.5 BASIC TIPS FOR GREAT BANTU KNOT HAIRSTYLES
- 1.6 HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO MAKE BANTU KNOTS?
- 1.7 HOW DO YOU STYLE BANTU KNOTS AFTER FEW DAYS?
- 1.8 WHAT ARE SOME LIGHT WEIGHT PRODUCTS FOR A GREAT BANTU KNOT HAIRSTYLE?
- 1.9 WHAT IS THE BEST SIZE FOR MY BANTU KNOTS?
- 1.10 BANTU KNOT TWIST OUT
- 1.11 BANTU KNOT HAIRSTYLES FOR WET HAIR
- 1.12 FINAL HELPFUL TIPS FOR A GREAT BANTU KNOTS HAIRSTYLE
- 1.13 WHAT TO READ NEXT?
How To Rock Bantu Knots On Dry Hair Like A Pro Naturalista!
Before we go into some awesome bantu knots on dry hair styles let’s check how can you achieve some bantu knots on the go!
HOW TO DO BANTU KNOTS ON DRY HAIR WHEN TIME AIN’T YOUR FRIEND!
- Section hair into squares using your fingers or comb. Tip: The smaller the section, the curlier the curl! (you welcome haha)
- Apply curling cream, pomade, butter. Don’t be too generous but apply to your entire head.
- Gently detangle your hair since it’s dry
- Start twirling the hair and then roll it around itself.
Check this video below on how to get it right
Bantu knots are known to be two styles in one so if you’re thinking of trying something new this style is just right for you!
If you get bored of the knots you can easily remove then into a curly afro or waves depending on the size of your Bantu knots.
It is harder to create bantu knots on dry hair that is one to two inches in length. A clean head of hair is best for this style.
For great bantu knots on dry hair, I recommend that you shampoo and deep condition your hair before you even start so your hair can look super clean and fresh!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: 10 Best Shampoos for Curly Hair Without Sulfate!
This is applicable to all hair types!
Let me break things down so you better understand how to get the perfect bantu knot hairstyle!
HOW TO PREPARE YOUR HAIR FOR A GREAT BANTU KNOT
Now if you want to start well you need to plan it, on important step with doing your own Bantu knots is to start on dry hair, stretched hair.
So, how do you stretch your hair for a bantu knot?
You can start from a blow out or stretch your curls with something like the Q-Redew.
I believe the secret to a great bantu knot is to start with dry hair since your hair can take ages to dry if it’s wet and loaded with lots of products.
A good thing to do before you start is to make sure you’ve need conditioned your hair well ahead of time before you even stretch it!
WHAT ITEMS DO YOU NEED? BASIC ITEMS FOR A PERFECT BANTU KNOT HAIRSTYLE:
- Shampoo, deep conditioning hair mask, and conditioner
- Oil of choice such as : Coconut, jojoba, or virgin olive oil
- A good Leave in Conditioner
- Mousse or setting lotion
- Edge control if you want your edges laid
- A wide tooth comb or
- A rat tail comb
- A wooden boar bristle brush (just in case)
- some bobby pins
- Ouchless hair ties in case your knots unravel
I HAVE SHORT HAIR. WHAT DO I DO? BANTU KNOT HAIRSTYLES FOR SHORT HAIR
Now there is an issue for those that short hair because if your hair is shorter than 2 inches the process is much harder, trust me!
So what can you do about it?
The best way to go about it is by having three to four inches can create long-lasting Bantu knots.
If you have short hair it requires more parting and dividing the hair into smaller sections which will result in tighter curls.
A good tip to remember is that using bands or ties would be needed for short, straight or relaxed hair to hold the bantu knots on dry hair in place because the Bantu knots can slip out at night or while it’s drying up.
BASIC TIPS FOR GREAT BANTU KNOT HAIRSTYLES
- If you want great results, start with detangled, well-moisturized hair. Why? You want your hair to be as smooth and manageable as possible when creating the knots. You should create your sections according to the final style you want to achieve.
- If you want great definition you should always try doing your Bantu knots on dry hair.
- Starting with your final look in mind will help you visualize the style before you even start twisting.
- Who doesn’t love a style that can last? Use a moisturizing product with a light hold because if you get any product with strong hold the hair will not fall into a natural style.
- Butters and pomades or products like MissJessie’s Pillow soft curls are excellent products for Bantu-knots.
- Do not over twist your hair. Twisting the hair too tightly can stress your hair and cause breakage
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: 15 Best How To Moisturize Dry Curly Hair Hacks That Works!
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO MAKE BANTU KNOTS?
Depending on your hair length, the Bantu knot install will take forty-five minutes to an hour to install from shampoo to completion.
A great trick is to allow your hair to dry overnight or sit under a hooded dryer for 30mins but it depends on the length of your hair.
Remember, If you do your bantu knots on dry hair with minimal products your hair can be damp if you remove it too early.
A great way to ensure your bantu knots are all dry is to cover your hair with a headwrap for a day and take it out when you feel it’s ready to go!
That will result in a great hairstyle and less frizz.
If your results still look damp you can use a diffuser to complete the drying process then unraveled the bantu knots.
HOW DO YOU STYLE BANTU KNOTS AFTER FEW DAYS?
If you’ve installed bantu knots on dry hair for few days to weeks and if you’re like me you will feel the urge to try a new style.
What you can do is to:
- remove the pins holding your bantu knots
- Apply a light oil of choice on your hair
- untwine you Bantu Knots
- Wear it a curly afro.
WHAT ARE SOME LIGHT WEIGHT PRODUCTS FOR A GREAT BANTU KNOT HAIRSTYLE?
One thing with bantu knots it’s that you need to be picky with the products that enter your hair.
So here are two good products to consider when thinking what to try for your bantu knots:
- Curluxe Naturals DewLuxe Moisture Mist: This mist is light-weight and doesn’t completely drench my hair so I knew this product was perfect for bantu knots.
- Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel: It’s not quite a gel and not exactly a butter which works great for the purpose of the style we want to achieve.
You can also totally use a few pumps of water and leave in conditioner. There’s really no “right or wrong” products to use, it all depends on what your hair likes and what not.
Trying few products as you style will leave you with a great combo for your next awesome bantu knots style.
WHAT IS THE BEST SIZE FOR MY BANTU KNOTS?
Since it’s up to you to decide, larget bantu knots means wavier curls.
So what’s the best size for your bantu knots?
It depends on your style, If you’re going for very tight curls then go with smaller bantu knots and let it dry in for longer so your results can be guaranteed.
If you just want to have a wavy look, bigger and not so tight Bantu knots will work great for you.
You should know that larget sections can take a longer time to dry.
BANTU KNOT TWIST OUT
If you’re in your transitioning phase then this style will work wonderst for you!
Bantu knot twist out is one of the best styles to try on natural hair because it creates tight curls right after installing your bantu knots.
Now don’t go about untwisting so fast, you should keep it in for at least two to four days so you can ensure the best looking curls.
If you leave it for a longer period of time you will get a fuller twist out adn ofcouse curlier!
Don’t forget to maintain your curls by wearing a satin bonnet or do the pineapple method on your hair at night.
BANTU KNOT HAIRSTYLES FOR WET HAIR
If you are like some women that prefer wet hair because your hair maintains moisture and the curls are more pronounced then this method could be for you.
Normally if you are a type 4 then doing your bantu knots on damp hair is best to reduce shrinkage and dryness.
One thing with Bantu knots on wet hair is the drying time.
It can take days for your hair to dry depending on the density of your hair so that’s something you need to consider while choosing which method to go with.
FINAL HELPFUL TIPS FOR A GREAT BANTU KNOTS HAIRSTYLE
• Start with detangled, well moisturized hair. You want your hair to be smooth when creating the knots – tangled, dry or rough hair will not achieve the look you desire.
• Always do bantu knots on DRY hair! Dry hair that is well moisturized produces the best results.
• Create sections according to the final look you want. If you want to show your length, or have loose waves rather than defined curls make between two and four sections. If you want large curls create 6-8 sections and for tight, springy curls do 10+ sections.
• Do not over twist your hair. Over twisting can cause breakage so, Instead twist the hair about two to three times then wrap it on itself and continue until all the hair is twisted and wrapped into the knot.
• Use a moisturizing product with a light hold rather than gel or mousse. If the product creates too much hold, the hair will not “fall” into a natural style.
• Use the greenhouse effect method at night If you experience your curls not lasting all day then this method could be for you. In the morning after you remove the shower cap, your hair will be damp but do not disturb the knots until your hair is completely dry. It usually takes about 15 minutes. By doing this it gives the same lasting power as a bantu knot out that has been done on wet hair, minus the damp hair in the middle.
• Pineapple at night to preserve the curls. After a full day of sporting your curly look, pin the hair up on the top of your head (or use a large ponytail holder) and wrap the sides with a scarf. I also
• sleep on a satin pillowcase to ensure my hair does not suffer. In the morning, pull the hair down with your fingers and style, your curls will be just as cute as the previous day, if not cuter!
What is your favorite way of getting the perfect Bantu knots?
WHAT TO READ NEXT?
- 19 Fabulous Roller Set On Natural Hair Tutorials to Try Next!
- 19 Stunning Quick Hairstyles for Short Natural African American Hair
- 14 Classy African American Hairstyles for Weddings
- 22 Mind Blowing Braid Hairstyles for your next look
- Fulani hairstyles! 7 Amazing Fulani braids Styles
See you in my next one,